Monday, November 22, 2010

The Exquisite Pearl

The Exquisite Pearl: The Journey to Allah and the Home of the Hereafter 2002 Translated by Abu Aaliyah Surkheel Sharif
The Light of the Qur’an: An Explanation to Surah al-Ikhlas and Surah al-Kafirum 2010 Prepared and translated by Abu Rumaysah
A Course in the Science of Reciting the Qur’an 1988 by Muhammad Ibrahim H.I. Surty
Key of Lisaan-ul-Quran Vol 1 and 2 2006 written by the teachers of Madrasah Ayesha Siddiqua Karachi
Lissan-ul-Quaran Vol 1 and 2 2008 and 2009 by the teachers of Madrasah Ayesha Siddiqua Karachi
Part 2 od Murshid al-Qari series 2007 by Madbut Writers and Translators

Weight: 7 lbs

Method of Disposal: Giving them to Vallan who has been studying Arabic, among other languages, for years. She will benefit from them far more than me.





I live right down the road from a decent-sized mosque. It is a very important part of the community and, just driving by; you can tell there are a lot of events in and around the building. I am not sure if these books have anything to do with my location in relation to this place.

I came home from work one day and saw books scattered in my neighbor’s yard. I initially thought she was just trying to give away some of her belongings. I wanted them, but I wasn’t sure. I decided to go inside and wait for a few hours. If they were still there after awhile I would take them. Nearly 7 hours later, in the dark, I went back outside. The books were still there. This time I noticed all the loose papers scattered in multiple other yards. I started to collect the papers. I became increasingly excited about my discovery. What was all this? I got it all inside, with just a few curious, late-night glances from some lingering neighbors. The books were all about the Qu’ran and bodybuilding. The loose papers were images from bodybuilding books. I felt like I had stumbled upon a gold mine, but I was very worried about the previous owner of these books. Why were they just thrown out like that? Why did no one come back to get them?

In current times, it is hard not to start assuming all sorts of things. It was probably some kid who did not want to study anymore. I hope it was. I really just want the previous owner to be healthy, happy, and uninjured physically or emotionally. In other words, I hope the owner tossed the books and no one took the liberty of tossing them for hir /her /him.

The United States has become so anti-Arabic, anti-Islamic, anti-Qur’an. It is scary. I hesitated to use the name of the person I was handing them over to even though she studies languages and international relations. How absurd is that? I mean, I know I was being a little over-the-top paranoid in thinking about that—which is why I decided to do it after all. But, it is still a world where these things cross your mind. There is so much we need to work on, so much we need to change.

1 comment: