Monday, March 21, 2011

World Poetry Day--2011

W. H. Auden: Selected Poems Selected and edited by Edward Mendelson
1989
Weight: 9.9 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating or leaving somewhere unless you want it



It is World Poetry Day and so I knew I would have to part with one of my few poetry books. I do not read poetry like I use to, but I am still attached to the books I have left. I did not realize how much until I went to find one to give away. I was nowhere near ready to give away Langston Hughes or my No More Masks anthology. I saw a few young adult collections I could have let go easy, but that seemed like cheating. I had to get rid of something good. It is World Poetry Day!

This particular book was purchased for one of my English courses in college. I believe it was Modernist Poetry with Professor Trousdale. We read Yeats, Eliot, Pound, Stein, and many others that are not coming to me right now. Of course, not everything we read fit neatly into “Modernism.” We read around Modernism and within it. It was a great class with a great professor and, while I never really developed the comfort level to talk about poetry, I appreciated every minute of the class. I say developed. Perhaps, I mean that I lost the confidence to do so while in college. I became intimidated way before this class, and I half-turned my back on poetry. Trousdale’s classes always drew me back.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am still not going to discuss Auden with you. Feel free to talk about him to me and, as always, let me know if you want this collection of poetry.


World Poetry Day was first celebrated in 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment