Sunday, May 22, 2011

Aimée and Jaguar

Aimée and Jaguar: A Love Story, Berlin 1943 Erica Fischer
1995
Weight: 12 oz
Method of Disposal: Leaving somewhere in the city unless you want it



There are not a lot of books about German lesbians during WWII. There are a number of reasons for that, and I will not get into that here. I bought this book in the 90’s, as soon as I laid eyes on it. I also watched the movie as soon as I could get my hands on it. It is an incredible story about two women in an impossible situation. The love story between a Nazi officer’s wife and a young Jewish woman, hiding in the heart of Germany, Berlin.

It is a true story so it does not contain the standard romance formula we see in so many books. This book, unfortunately, is unable to really bring the women to life for me, but I am still glad to have read it. I am thankful for the research and work put into it. I did (perhaps embarrassingly) enjoy the movie more, but I learned more with the book. There is an unnecessary and uncomfortable epilogue to the book that has left a residual bad feeling within me for years. I resent it. If I could go back and do it again, I wouldn’t read that part. Anywho, all that being said, you should read it. Pass it on. Tell this rare history to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment