Monday, January 5, 2015

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Tess of the D'Urbervilles  By Thomas Hardy
1998
Weight: 1.4 lbs
Method of Disposal: Donating

 

I was one of the few students in my college-level English class that liked Tess of the D'Urbervilles.  That shocked me a little but what shocked me the most is that only two of us thought that Tess was raped in the book.  This story was incredibly sad and sometimes weighed so heavily on my mind that I thought my heart would break for Tess before I could get to the end of it, but people described her as annoying or deserving.  Boring or beyond their empathy.  I still find this uncanny.  I probably should have taken it as a sign of things to come.  Maybe if I had paid more attention I would not have been surprised to find I was surrounded by losers when I experienced my own rape.

No comments:

Post a Comment