Monday, October 8, 2018

Clown Girl

Clown Girl by Monica Drake
2007
Weight: 14 lbs
Method of Disposal: Lending Library


I bought this book back when I thought Chuck Palahnuik was where it was at.  I had bought and read everything he put out, and there was nothing else.  Then, I found this book where he stated that Monica Drake was a better writer than him and bought it.  As time has gone on, I have realized that I am not nearly as much of a fan of Chuck now as I was 15 years ago.  I still like unusual/bleak/shocking/dark fiction, but I think I require more from it now.  I want to know and believe in the characters, and I want to feel empathy for them even when they are down and out, dingy and gross.  The largest trouble I have is believing in the characters and, I'm sorry, but Chuck does not do his women characters much justice.

Monica is someone different entirely, but I still struggled to connect in any real way to anyone in this book.  I could hardly even imagine them or see them.  I could not get lost in Baloneytown.  I really really wanted to, but I just could not.  A full-time clown, some sadistic roommates, a dishonest and vicious clown boyfriend, and a morally astute police officer--all making a life in Baloneytown.  The clown was our main character.  She was hiding behind her costume and make-up.  She took too many herbal supplements and was slowly killing herself, but a police officer was watching and waiting to rescue her.  Eventually, she would learn how to rescue herself by slowly taking accountability for her own actions and taking off her mask.

I just could not get into it, but maybe I would have liked it in a different time, at a different point in my life.  It was definitely weird enough.  That part was not lacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment