Monday, June 8, 2020

Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi
2012
Weight: 7.2 oz
Method of Disposal: Giving Away


I was given this book by someone who said it was "weird" and that they could not finish it, which immediately piqued my curiosity.  As I get older, what I find most surprising is that there is very little that is surprising anymore.  I am always interested in something seemingly new.  I did not know this was a modern take on Bluebeard but, after finishing, it makes me smile to think that, on the hunt for something unique, I stumbled into a remake, albeit loosely.

When I started reading, I did not know what to expect, but I enjoyed the writing and so, when I stumbled upon any confusion (which I did often enough), I just tried to fall into it.  I enjoyed each vignette or chapter for what it was and hoped that it would all come together at some point.  That might have led me into the disappointment that I felt reading the last few pages of the book, but it also allowed me to thoroughly enjoy the rest of it.  I have always been a fan of picking apart fairy tales and modernizing them with new lessons and new insights into humanity.

This book is definitely not for everyone, but I can see why so many people have been enchanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment