Monday, July 13, 2020

Neverhome

Neverhome by Laird Hunt
2015
Weight: 6.7 oz
Method of Disposal: Leaving in a Lending Library


The premise of this book is exciting in and of itself and, in some ways, gives the author more leeway to experiment and create because it will be interesting no matter what.  It is about a woman who dresses up as a man and goes to fight in the Civil War.  Apparently, around 400 women disguised themselves and fought on both the Confederacy and Union sides of the War.  Who were these women and what drove them?  Did anyone get away with it through the entirety of the war?

This author had a take that was different than what I was hoping for, but it was their take and I enjoyed reading it.  I struggled to relate in any real way to the primary character, but I was interested in her by default.  This has sparked a real interest in me to learn more.  I am open to suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment