Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Hillbilly Elegy

 Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance

2016

Weight:8.8 oz

Method of Disposal: Lending Library Decatur, GA


This is a hard one.  I was interested in the part of this book that was more memoir, but the author would periodically include opinions that I found problematic and that would pull me out of the book real fast, like I had been slapped.  I was reading and in Appalachia, enthralled by what I was seeing and then, all the sudden, the author would say something overly generalized and even passive aggressive.  He would be frustrated and you are rooting, yes, yes....and then, no.  It was like he was putting blame in all the wrong places.

All in all, I enjoyed reading the book, and there were some good descriptions and moments, but I could have lived without the politics and the odd snippets about racism, welfare, and many class issues that really missed the mark.  A dumb thing to expect when reading the book of a politician, I suppose.





No comments:

Post a Comment