Saturday, September 11, 2010

"The cup is raised, the toast is made yet again..."

THE DEFINITIVE ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ROCK General Editor, Michael Heatley
2006
Weight: 5.2 lbs
Method of Disposal: Donating



I wanted to get rid of a heavy and large book today. I am about to take my donations in, and I wanted to get a good one in the box before leaving. I have chosen the encyclopedia of rock because it is a little over 5 lbs. It was given to me by Vallan when we began dating a few years ago. She was trying to give me a lesson in quality music. She said she would make notes throughout the book to let me know who I should pay particular attention to. I suppose she was not impressed with my collection. Music is very important to her, and she has an ear for talent.

The book includes many wonderful artists and albums, but it is not something I need anymore. I do not need the weight—of the book or of that relationship. The bottom left of the book, on the spine, has some damage from our first pit bull foster, Maelie, who use to chew on our stuff fairly often. I use to like that addition to the book. It made it feel more like a memory embodied than just an encyclopedia, an alphabetical and numerical list. Despite the damage, I am sure it will find a new home with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment