Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Death Can and Will Happen--What Will You Do With The Body?

REMEMBER ME: A LIVELY TOUR OF THE NEW AMERICAN WAY OF DEATH
By Lisa Takeuchi Cullen
2006
Weight: ½ lb
Method of Disposal: Donating




I have had an unfortunate problem lately. I cannot stop thinking about death, and it is unpleasant for me. I have never had this problem. Being someone who pokes painful bruises and peels off scabs, I picked Remember Me off my shelf and began reading. I was not at all impressed with the writing skills of the author and was tempted to put it down many times. I always finish a book though--with the exception of Shadow of the Dolls. The only book that was so bad I not only put it down but returned it to the bookstore after getting 15 pages in. I never return things. Anyway, back to the point. Remember Me was written by someone who makes bad jokes and seems distracted from her topic.

That said I still learned a little. I will impart some of it to you in hopes that you will be able to resist the urge to rush out to the bookstore and get this book right away. If you must read it please let me know in the next week, and I will save this copy for you.

Things I now know:

 Sometimes people have doves released at funerals. There have been a few horror stories about this being done improperly. In one case, a flock of doves was released by a trainer. A hawk swooped in, grabbed a dove, pushed it to the ground, and began gorging itself on the little bird in front of all the onlookers. Was it a sign?
 You can get coffin furniture. Why only use it once? http://www.casketfurniture.com/
 You can be mummified with your animals. http://www.summum.org/mummification/’
 You can be turned into a diamond. http://www.lifegem.com/?gclid=CL6dwebDiKQCFdVb2godJGSQJQ
 I have trouble reading about people dying right now without crying. Despite myself and the writing.

I am not sure what I will do with this new information, but I have it. That’s something. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment