Monday, July 4, 2011

Lucky

Lucky by Alice Sebold
1999
Weight: 12.8 oz
Method of Disposal: Donate




Alice Sebold is probably best known for her novel, The Lovely Bones. Lucky is whole other thing. It is a memoir and the story of Sebold’s own rape. The cover of the book starts you off with this, “In the tunnel where I was raped, a tunnel that was once an underground entry to an amphitheater, a place where actors burst forth from underneath the seats of a crowd, a girl had been murdered and dismembered. I was told this story by the police. In comparison, they said, I was LUCKY.

I read this book before my own rape. I remember it being horrific. At the end, I remember thinking it was “unrelenting” when her roommate is raped. I can grasp images from her life, just moments, but I cannot write a real review, paragraph, or whatever about it. I tried to jog my memory by skimming it, but it opens with this horrible rape that Alice Sebold endured and it is too much for me. It all comes at me in a blur. I see words like “virgin,” “blow job,” “dry” and I don’t want to make sense out of it so I slam it shut.
I read it once. I think I was 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment