Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Stop playing Angry Birds and blog! ;)

Dracula  by Bram Stoker
1981
Weight: 7 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating or giving away




I have not written in a long time, but I still have a ton of books that have to go.  Looking at my shelves is daunting.  I do not want to see them disappear.  Every time I see one I want to write about I think about losing it, and I redirect my attention to something else.  Despite these fancies and second thoughts, I know I need to go forward with the project.

It is rare that I buy a mass market paperback, made to be destroyed; they rub me the wrong way.  And, while it is elitist, I cannot help but question the value of a story if printed in that format.  Classics, of course, do not apply.  The incredible page-turner, Dracula, is the perfect example.  This little paperback has been in my life for some time and is still in good shape.  I first read Dracula during one of my high school summer vacations (could I have those back please?), and I loved it.  I could not put it down.  I do not often enjoy horror novels, but this is absolutely one of the best ever written.  No matter how many Dracula movies you have seen you need to read the book.  There is something about the process of reading that adds to the suspense.

It is told through correspondences, journals, and diaries.  Don’t we all have a little voyeur in us?  I love reading books written this way.  Let me know if you are ready to give it a go.  This little book could be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment