Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Buddhism Plain and Simple


Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steven Hagan
1998
Weight: 12 oz
Method of Disposal: Giving to Tracy




I read this book when I was 16, and it changed me. I knew it as a basic, introductory book. I felt relaxed, secure, less anxious. It started a lifelong respect and love for Buddhism, whether or not I was able to truly make it a component of my life. I am so thankful for that feeling and for that insight. I am thankful for the book.

I reread it recently and did not enjoy those same feelings to the same degree. I was slightly disappointed for a brief period, but then I realized things change. We are the stream, after all. The book, what it is, the meaning, my “self” that does not really exist, is constantly changing. I was not as open to the insight it offered this time, and I wish I could change that. I may be able to. That is my dukkha. One of the many goals I set for myself and then fail to achieve because I set a goal, because I was trying to achieve something. I like the thought of being a mountain and my thoughts being clouds that pass by. I am not the one who can explain this to you. I am not the one that can write about this book right now.

It has given me a lot to un-think, to not think. It is a useful source. Check it out if you want a simple and repetitive lesson about Buddhism.

2 comments:

  1. Krishnamurti! He is (briskly?) straight forward in his explanations of similar ideas. It has been easier for me to connect to as now older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is so strange. I grew up hearing about Krishnamurti from my mother all the time and now here he comes up again. I actually have a lot of Krishnamurti books. I will have to go get them off the shelves!

    ReplyDelete