Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Belize Bundle

Are You in the House Alone?  by Richard Peck 2000
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler  by E.L. Konigsburg  2002
Sight Unseen: Science, UFO Invisibility, and Transgenic Beings by Budd Hopkins and Carol Rainey 2004
Watership Down by Richard Adams 1974

Weight: 37.6 oz

Method of Disposal: Used as a dog toy and then recycled



Despite the fact that I have not written in a little over a month, I have been reading quite a lot.  I have just been doing quite a lot aside from that too, and I was just so exhausted that I let my poor blog slide.  It would be okay, except that I still have so many books!  The universe stepped in and one of bookshelves toppled over on me and one of my foster dogs.  Don't people die that way?  Luckily, the pup was in a metal crate and was spared the pelting I got.  The books might have been retaliating because in true puppy form (and as I have told you with other fosters) she did manage to destroy some books in her time here after escaping her crate.  In her adjustment week, she actually managed to tear up one of the books AND shit on it.  Beautiful, sweet, wild thang.

I was particularly crushed when I saw my copy of Waterhip Down.  I had never actually read the book, but I had meant to for a very long time and was just about to get started when disaster in the form of a dog struck.  I particularly liked this copy from the 70's.  It smelled delicious and the typeface was lovely.

She gnawed on a few others, but I still think I might be able to read them.  I think that, in reality, I am being overly ambitious and that I am going to be really aggravated when I get 100 pages in to find 20 pages eaten, but I am not ready to throw away more than three--particularly with Watership Down equaling more like five.

The good news?  She is an incredibly sweet dog that does really well if she has the appropriate energy outlet and today she went home with a young couple and one of them is a runner!  I so hope they love that baby for life.  I will miss her but, as is always the case with these abandoned/neglected babies, I am so glad she found someone who can take the time to give her the life she always deserved.

2 comments:

  1. Donnie used to watch the cartoon version of Watership Down all the time as a child. He brought it over to my house when we first started dating and I thought it was creepy as hell. At any rate, I do like to call cars "roodidoos" like the rabbits do in the cartoon. As in, "Watch out for roodidoos!" So cute. I also remember that the book was quite popular in the bookstore. Many people said it was their favorite and, yet, I have never read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it for the first time 1-2 years ago, and it was not what I expected! I liked it, but I cannot imagine watching it as a child, haha. I bought Watership Down BECAUSE Donnie grew up watching it. It made me curious.

      Delete