Friday, January 11, 2013

Cutting For Stone

Cutting For Stone  by Abraham Verghese
2009
Weight: 1.9 lbs
Method of Disposal: Leaving at Joe's in EAV
I went to Iowa last year to visit my Stepmother's family.  I finally got to spend a substantial amount of time with her mom, dad, and sister.  I also got to see the school I have always wanted to attend for creative writing and explore Iowa City.  My brother and his family came over from Colorado, and it was all around a great experience.

There is an amazing bookstore in Iowa City called Prairie lights, and I might have gone a little wild there.  I was in love with it the second I walked in and the love just grew as I walked about.  I saw a posting for my college professor who I love and deeply respect, Amber Dermont.  She was teaching some summer writing classes and had given a reading at that bookstore.  I saw postcards made by children to raise money for a youth writing program.  There were so many literary journals!

My Stepmother's mom bought me this book on one of our last days in the city.  She bought it at a library sale, and it is one of her personal favorites.  She is an avid reader too.  I finally read it and, while it is not one of my favorites, it does grip your attention.  It may not be believable, but it is intense, and I cherish it as a gift from my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment