Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Books that Made Me Love Reading

Letters From Rifka  Karen Hesse 1992
The Giver Lois Lowry 2002
Where the Red Fern Grows  Wilson Rawls 1997
Weight: 1 lb
Method of Disposal: Leaving in booksharing box in Oakhurst or EAV, except for the giver which I am giving to Julia


I have been sick and in bed when I absolutely have not needed to do something else, and I decided to reread a bunch of the books from my childhood.  It has been fun and fast and enlightening.  The Giver is in the lead for best, hands down.  It is just an amazing book in general.  I was entranced by it, even as an adult, and I am encouraging everyone I run into to read it.  I. Love. It.  Did I mention it is really good?  AND I loved it as a child so that is a good sign.

Where the Red Fern Grows still makes me cry, though I was turned off by the God talk and the males-must-ignore-their-feelings-and-prove-they-have-balls-while-respecting-the-crazy-yet-loving-women-folk-who-have-no-lives theme that was an integral part of the book.  An animal lover of this time period may have some difficulty with the book if they cannot let go and let God.  It was okay.

Letters for Rifka is a book I LOVED as a child.  The ringworm imagery was burned into my brain and never went away until I encountered ringworm at the shelter and THAT terrible experience began to dominate my thoughts every time I heard the dreaded word.  I imagine this is still an entertaining read for young people but, as an adult, I found it lacking.

Now, I am reading Coraline!  I never actually read that as a kid.  This will be my first time, but it still fits in with the young reader genre.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment