Friday, April 17, 2015

The Bridge of San Luis Rey

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
1998
Weight:4.8 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating


I do not know what finally drew me to this book when I was out sick from work earlier this week.  If this sticker was purchased around the same time I bought it a minimum of 15 years ago and have no idea if I ever took another look at it.  I was so different then.  I had lots of disposable time and income, whether I knew it or not.

I was shocked to open the book and have these tiny photos of my two best friends at the time flutter to the ground along with a Chapter 11 bookmark.  Shocked and pleased.  I sent a card with several to Noelle on the left who I never see enough but still love and then texted this photo to Sarah on the right who I have not seen in years but will always love.  Both of them mothers now.  Both of them so different, but still so loving when I talk to them.  It made me miss my friends, and it made me anxious to get out of bed and back into life.  I have so many people I want to catch up with!

As for the book itself, it was fantastic.  I read it in one night on the floor of my dad's house while Harriet slept off the hospital visit in the bed to my left.  It was human, direct, unflinching, unapologetic.  People are here and then they are not.  They do all sorts of good and bad things in between, but no one knows what the next second will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment