Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Girl in the Well is Me and The Year of the Flood

The Girl In the Well is Me by Karen Rivers
2016
Weight: 8 oz
Method of Disposal: Return it to the city I found it in


I have not written here in a long time.  In fact, I have not written at all.  I am always doing something for PAWS or trying to enjoy every second I get with Harriet.  Sometimes, I am able to see friends in between.  We have started having brunch with one of our dear friends every Sunday morning.  It was after eating in Decatur a couple weeks ago that I stumbled across this advanced reader copy.  I read it all in a night, as is easy to do with young adult novels, but I was not incredibly impressed.  It was hard to keep going instead of breaking it up into smaller reading samples, but I could not help but think it would feel more accurate if I read it all at once.  Like the girl in the well, I would hang in limbo, get tired of it.  That was part of the experience.  I did appreciate how the author slowly unraveled truths about the narrator's family.  I just wish I had felt more for the narrator and believed in her more.  I wish the characters had come to life more.

AND, while I am around so many lending libraries, I will go ahead and pass on The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.
2010
Weight: 13 oz

If you read my other post about this series, you will know I was not a fan of it either.  I usually love Margaret Atwood, but it was all just taken too far.  I guess I will not be doing anyone any favors at the lending library if you base it off this post, but I think other people of different ages will be able to enjoy either book.  Who am I to decide for others what they will like?

No comments:

Post a Comment