Saturday, January 4, 2020

Red at the Bone

Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson
2019
Weight: 13 oz
Method of Disposal: Returned to Owner


This book was lent to me by a volunteer who told me that, even though it would read fast, to remember to take it slow and enjoy it.  That was really good advice.  This was a great book.  I cherished each word of it and got excited when my night would start winding down, and I knew I would finally have time to spend with it.  It is challenging to find a book like that.  Each word making an impression, dancing off the page, tickling my mind.  It is a beautiful thing. 

I loved the characters and how their hopes and dreams unraveled and became new hopes and dreams.  Life is full of surprises and twists, and the only thing to do is to adjust and adapt.  A teenage mom, her parents, a teenage dad, his mom, the (grand)daughter.  One family of individuals.  The story could have been told in the same way it has been a hundred times before, but it was not.  The teenage dad was so in love with his daughter and her mama, and the mama was so disconnected from them both and fixated on her self, but she was not a monster.  She was a real person who you could be frustrated with at times and empathize with at others.  You could definitely understand why she did the things she did.  The same with her daughter. 

If you are looking for something to read, try this.  It is not just a book but an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment