Monday, August 24, 2020

On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God

 On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God by Louise Rennison
2003
Weight: 4.8 oz
Method of Disposal: Recycling


I got this book while working in the Children's Department of a bookstore.  I saw potential there.  I thought the author might not shy away from teenager's having sexual awareness and that, because of this among other reasons, teenagers might be more likely to enjoy the book/reading in general.  I finally read it, but I was underwhelmed in many ways.  A few of them were unexpected.  The slur "lezzie" gets thrown around a bit.  The main character rushes in the showers at school so the lezzie gym teacher does not ogle her.  The other girls call the main character a lezzie a couple times.  The book is all about her fixation on one guy, and how she lashes out at her family, friends, and even a guy she is dating, trying to get that older guy back even though she is 14 and he is 17.  Spoiler Alert: The whole book she is worried she will be moving away from him to go to New Zealand but, at the last minute, she does not have to.  Her mom and dad call it off.  It would have been one thing to just not like the book,  but it was another to leave it wondering if it would do more harm than good in the world.  I know a lot of people really enjoyed it.  I, clearly, am not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment