Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Green Book

The Green Book by Elizabeth Rogers and Thomas M. Kostigen
2007
Weight: 11.2 oz
Method of Disposal: Giving Away


Things I liked about this book:
  • Please God, we need to do something about climate change. This message is clear in the book.
  • The authors try to meet you where you are at and often.  They do not say "do not fly in an airplane."  They say limit your flight or, if you do fly, do these things while you travel to limit your damage to the environment.
  • The use of famous people to make it more trendy.
  • I found there are some things that I know better than to do them, but I had grown lazy about it.  This book helped remind me that even the little things can matter.
Things That Work Less For Me
  • It was published in 2007 so there is a lot that is irrelevant now or the conversation has changed.  PDAs, camera film, and beepers are rarely used so are no longer worth mentioning.  Often, while reading, this would give me hope that we had already done things that would help us so much just because certain items had become antiquated.  Then, we would get to the next page, and I would realize e-waste and increased electric usage had likely wiped out many of the improvements we had made in other areas.  It is time for a revised addition! 
  • The use of famous people may work for some folks but also felt a little superficial to me.  These people are not living paycheck to paycheck.  They can buy any car they want, multiple cars, and they can buy anything and everything energy efficient.  Sacrificing seems less painful if you have so much.
  • On the one hand, I want people to do the easy things and make a difference.  On the other hand, I want to be sure that people know that, just because they brush their teeth in the shower and don't buy farmed fish, there is still so much more that needs to be done and so much of that is systemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment