Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Testaments

 The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
2019
Weight: 1.7 lbs
Method of Disposal: Donating

It would be a real challenge to write a book that would always be held up next to The Handmaid's Tale, an unexpected sequel to a book that was so powerful on its on.  So, I understand those that are disappointed or expected something else, but I also understand those that loved it.  I thought it stood well on its own, which was a relief after having read the book several times but many years ago and having recently watched the tv series.  I was afraid I would be utterly confused if I did not re-read the first book, but I was fine.  

It was interesting to switch perspectives.  It is not that I did not miss Offred.  I really did.  It was still a unique experience to be in the mind of an Aunt, amongst others.  The only thing I was not keen on was the ending, but I cannot really talk about that here, can I?


No comments:

Post a Comment