Friday, July 9, 2010

Still Surviving in THE A-T-L

Frommer’s Germany 2007
Weight: A little over a pound
Method of Disposal: Recycling



I had just graduated from college and fallen in love. It was, you guessed it, the year 2007. Not that long ago. I worked at a bookstore and this book was given to me. I thought, at the time, that I might move to Germany with my then girlfriend who was looking into a school over there. I got the audio cds to learn the language, stole her Germany jacket, and read pieces of this book. I was excited about my life and where it was going.

I am still in Georgia. I traded in the bookstore job for a job at the animal shelter, and I am slowly and painfully letting that girl go. I have no plans to move to Germany, and it is really a mystery as to why I have held onto this raggedy old book, like it might come in handy some day. Like they do not make a new one each year. Like it would change things somehow. I would love to go to Germany one day, but on my budget with my pack of dogs I think it is best not to think on that too long.

Instead, I am off to Panther Creek in Clarkesville, GA. I am looking for a swimming hole, some inner peace, and the start of a plan that must be somewhere inside of me. I will probably just find a trail, a creek, and a waterfall. I am kind of use to that. At times, I am kind of o.k. with that. Maybe from a distance, at night, after a drink, I will mistake Helen for Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment