Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Absolute Man

Leonardo: The Artist and the Man by Serge Bramly
1994
Weight: 2.5 lbs
Method of Disposal: Donating or giving it to you if you ask for it.



This paperback is showing its age. Most of the abuse it endured happened while I was reading it for a book report/ project in 6th or 7th grade. We were able to choose any biography we wanted within a certain historical period. I picked up Leonardo because he was the only artist in the handful of biographies I had grabbed. I loved painting and drawing. I was intrigued with anyone who could do those things for a living. I also tought my teacher would be impressed that I was reading a book with over 400 pages BY CHOICE. I don’t think she really noticed or cared if she did. Oh well.

The spine of the book is cracking and developing wrinkles. The cover is bent and folded. Acrylic paint has stained the self-portrait of Da Vinci on the front. The inside is marked with blue, orange, and red ink. This is a used book (a loved book).

I learned so much about Leonardo Da Vinci. Things I will never forget and things that have strongly shaped my opinions of him. I loved the book at that age. I had no idea how much trouble Leonardo had found himself in growing up. No teacher had ever told me about his possible homosexuality. I had not been warned about his bitterness towards women. I didn’t realize that there use to be a time when you could focus all of your attention, studies, and dreams on your one passion. I didn’t even know about all of his inventions! It was all here, in this book, and I was enthralled. I would be afraid to read it again. I don’t want to know if it is not as good as I remember.

I guess, all in all, it was a good school assignment, for me anyway. I was what they call, “riveted.” I won’t easily forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment