Saturday, April 30, 2011

Form 668-B

Confessions of a Tax Collector: One Man’s Tour of Duty Inside the IRS by Richard Yancey (2005)
Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress by Debra Ginsberg (2001)
Weight: 1 lb
Method of Disposal: Donate



This is my 100th entry. I am 170 books in and have lost 153.28 lbs. In all honesty, it is becoming increasingly difficult and painful. I hate watching my shelves shrink, and I hate letting great books go. I have not yet decided if I am making a huge mistake, but I am unwilling to stop.

I feel like I should have something really special for this entry, but they only place that has got me is nowhere. I have just been avoiding the blog since I couldn’t come up with an appropriate way to celebrate 100 entries. What should I give away? How much should I give away? Where should it all go? What makes it special?

I give up. I haven’t written most of the month. I came back to it today because I finished my tax collector book which I had read because of it being April. I had to get rid of it before April was over! It is month-appropriate. It also wasn’t very good, and I don’t want to wait until this time next year to get rid of it. Yancey is a detestable person. The book starts off o.k. You kind of care about him, you are kind of amused, and you are kind of intrigued by the IRS. As it goes on and on and on, you realize that you hate him. He sucks. The book is repetitive, self-important, and over-the-top awful. A day in the life books can be great, but this one failed on so many levels.

In my total disgust with this book, I started thinking about other books that give readers a glimpse into a work force world they may never be a part of. I remembered Waiting. I thought Waiting was enjoyable and important, but I did leave it still wanting something more. We need another book on serving, and I want it to be hilarious. I am a firm believer that everyone should have to serve tables at some point in their life. If they are not going to, they should at least pick up the book.

A friend of mine was just tipped with an expired coupon tonight. She is a great server. People are assholes. That tipper was probably never a server.
So, anyway, farewell career books and farewell to the month of April and farewell to tax season….

No comments:

Post a Comment