Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Thief Lord


The Thief Lord  by Cornelia Funke
2002
Weight: 1 lb
Method of Disposal: Donating



On August 16, 2002 Michael Jacobs wrote a letter to booksellers, thanking them for reading and promoting The Thief Lord, and giving them a free book.  One copy landed in my hands, despite the fact that my manager really wanted it.  She reluctantly gave it up with a snarky comment about how she actually wanted to read it, presumably unlike me.  She would read it whether it was free or not.  I really did want to read it, but only if it was free.  I was being a brat.  9 years later, I listened to it on cds checked out from the library.  I never opened the book.  Damn.

It was an alright story.  I enjoyed listening to it while I cleaned kennels at the shelter, but it did not get me as enthusiastic as some of the big name books like The Hunger Games or Harry Potter.  There was nothing unusual or unique about it.  I did not feel wrapped up in the character’s lives.  I could not relate on any level, and, somehow, don’t we all find some emotional way to relate to these books even if it seems highly unlikely?  I read Harry Potter going into college and found some fun parallels.  The Hunger Games invokes that fear and heroism only dystopian novels can.  We can question who we would be, who we are.  I had no questions, no proclamations, limited feelings about The Thief Lord.  I am afraid it will blend in the memory banks until it is forgotten or woven into other stories by accident.

1 comment:

  1. I just read the Hunger Games and can't wait to read the next two! It was super amazing!

    ReplyDelete