Saturday, October 1, 2011

I Took the GRE for the First and Last Time


Kaplan GRE Comprehensive Program 2007-2008 Edition
Kaplan GRE Exam 2007-2008 Edition
Kaplan GRE Premier Program 2008 Edition
The Princton Review Cracking the GRE With DVD
The Princeton Review Math Workout for the New GRE 2nd Edition
The Princeton Review 1,014 Practice Questions for the New GRE 2nd Edition
Weight: 12.5 lbs
Method of Disposal: Selling or donating two revised editions and recycling all the rest since they pertain to the old test



It would seem, if you looked at this list, that I was well prepared for my GRE.  You would also wonder why I had so many books that were so similar.  I inherited the 2007-2008 editions from several people.  I purchased the two New GRE books and a couple of vocab drills for my Kindle.  Yes, I have a Kindle.  I really did not study a lot and there are still a lot of untainted drills if you need a few study guides.

The GRE was not as painful for me as it is for some other people because I did not go in with a score in mind that I had to get.  I did not go in there with the knowledge of which grad schools I really wanted to go to.  I was just trying to take the baby step in the grad school direction.  I even enjoyed the absurd security measures.  They make you sign a statement, in cursive, about their policies.  Then, they take a picture of you, have you pull out your pockets, use a metal detector wand on you, get you to sign in and out with your id, and every move you make is filmed.  I felt like I was doing something of the utmost importance.

Of course, with great relaxation and little worry comes a price.  I did not do all that well on my almost 4 hour long exam.  I will not take it again.  I feel like I got the same score on the practice tests before I ever studied anything.  I could not see an improvement, and I will be happy to never see another math problem again. 
I was and am feeling a little hard on myself but, luckily, I have an amazing friend who dropped me off and picked me up at the testing center.  She took me straight to a whiskey and a coke where we made “friends” with a married, childrened man “desperate for adult conversation.”  When that got old and the third person to our party arrived, we left for Flux.  

I was just glad she was there, my most influential cheerleader, so that I did not have too much time to dwell on my scores and over think what they mean to my life.  Thank you, Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment