Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Nocturnes

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro
2009
Weight: 1 lb
Method of Disposal: Giving Away/Donating



I had never read anything by Kazuo Ishiguro—at least nothing bound in bound up in a book form. I am not sure how I let him slip under my radar since he is obviously quite renowned. My grandmother called him “the most popular” English author right now. According to Wikipedia, he received “four Man Booker Prize nominations, including winning the 1989 prize for his novel The Remains of the Day. In 2008, The Times ranked Ishiguro 32nd on their list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945."

All of that being said, I get it. This was not one of my favorite books of all time, but it almost could have been. Even if the plot of a story wasn’t piquing my interest the writing was drawing me forward. This isn’t even one of his most acclaimed books. The writing was just beautiful and simple and easy to read. The stories were about loneliness (amongst other things), which I never tire of.

My grandmother on my mother’s side held onto this book and gave it to me the last time I visited. She said it was really weird, and she thought I would like it. She is an avid reader too, and she is usually spot on. I really appreciate her willingness to share her books and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment