People Weekly Yearbook: The Year in Review 1999
Weight: 1.9 lbs
Method of Disposal: Donate to AKF
This was a time capsule that I did not need. I am fairly certain I bought it for the shallow reason that it had Geri Halliwell and Tori Amos pictures inside of it. It also featured the Matt Shepherd story. Those things should never stand side by side…
So, here is a breakdown for you. They rated the 25 most intriguing people of 1998. The list included Hilary Clinton, Lauryn Hill, Calista Flockhart, Alan Grenspan, Chris Rock, and The World War II soldier? Quite a list… The 50 most beautiful people included Erykah Badu, Halle Berry, Tony Blair, Leonardo Dicaprio, Angelina Jolie, and Chris Carter. In my list of their list, I agree on the women, but I am a little shocked by the selection of men—not that I don’t love me some Chris Carter cause I do.
Here are your headlines:
• “White House Sex, Lies and Videotape” (you remember the Clintin bizniz, right?)
• “A Convoluted Family Drama” This one starts with this opening sentence, “This is a 1998 story that encompasses many of the problems bedeviling our society—divorce, illegitimacy, highway death, bureaucratic breakdown.” Enough said.
• Sonny Bono die, and his wife “secures his House seat.”
• A school shooting in Arkansas
• Northern Ireland gives “peace a chance.”
• Jesse “the Body” Ventura becomes Governor
• Hurricane Mitch
• Mary Kay Letourneau has her second child with her former student
• So on and so forth
Titanic wins an Academy Award and a Golden Globe. Please note that The X-Files also won a Golden Globe for best drama series. The book soon becomes a tribute to people like Tom Bradley, Lloyd Bridges, Florence Griffith Joyner, and so on.
A blast from the past…how was it for you?