Saturday, June 25, 2011

Their Eyes Were Watching God

Their Eyes Were Watching God By Zora Neale Hurston
1998
Weight: 7.2 oz
Method of Disposal: Donate to AKF



I am embarrassed to admit that I did not read this book until this year. Having been an English and Women’s Studies major, this is somewhat inappropriate. I remember being involved in lengthy discussions about Zora Neale Hurston and her popular novel. And by “being involved,” I mean finding ways to escape adding or taking away anything from what seemed to be very fascinating conversations. And while I have always been the first to admit that I do not know something and need clarification, this was not the case with Their Eyes Were Watching God. I do not know why. It all seems so ridiculous now.

So, I finally read it! I will never have to hide again. I enjoyed it too. I should not that I purchased it around 6 years ago, and it took me this long…
All of Hurston’s characters had unique qualities that enriched their character developments. They were not strictly good or bad people, of course they wouldn’t be in any good book, but it was still a triumph in that the main character has 3 husbands in 193 pages. I could sympathize with them, despise them, and understand her through the husband’s interactions with her.

This book is written in dialect, which most people either love or hate. It generally takes me awhile to get into the mood, but in the end it is well worth it and does add to the story. I also appreciated that white people were only in the periphery of this book. It wasn’t about them, but it did not shy away from recognizing their oppressive control either. I am not going to tell you anymore about the book, but I do recommend it if you are looking for something to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment