Sunday, September 18, 2011

Letters From the Underground


 To America with Love: Letters From the Underground  by Anita and Abbie Hoffman
2000
Weight: 9.6 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating or Giving Away



Yet again, I am not as inspired by a book in the way that others seem to be.  I am not sure what is wrong with me.  Am I jaded or just stupid?  Possibly neither and, of course, potentially both.  I picked this book up because I am always interested in reading about activism and influential people.  We need to learn from our past and present.  Combine as much information as possible so that we too can attempt to shape our future. 
I love that this is a collection of letters.  The reader gets a glimpse of how difficult it was to be underground, but still just a glimpse.  Letters may have been a safer way to communicate, but there was still danger in them.  They could be incriminating.

I guess part of the problem is that Abbie Hoffman has never been that inspirational to me.  There are components of his life and his passion that I respect and others that I do not, but he really has not been a major influence in my own activism, thoughts, and work.

If you are at all curious you should give it a go.  As always, it can be yours free of charge.  



********Troy Davis’ Clemency Hearing is tomorrow.  Keep him and his family in your thoughts*******

No comments:

Post a Comment