Thursday, July 30, 2015

Bark

Bark by Lorrie Moore
2014
Weight: 8 oz
Method of Disposal: Leaving on an airplane leaving Iowa



I have never been afraid of flying, but recently, on my last few trips, I have found the takeoff unnerving.  I have admitted this to my partner and thus made the bad feeling worse.  Like acknowledging it made it okay for me to feel it and so I felt it more than ever.  I read during takeoff and landing to keep my mind off of the turbulence, the height, the speed, and my complete lack of control over the situation.  This lack of control use to be why I liked flying.  I read fiercely and do not like being distracted from it for too long.
I was disappointed this time to find that the book I had brought was one I had already read.  I do not often read books twice.  Mostly because I have too many lying about that I have never picked up.  I feel like I will never get through them all if I start reading books more than once.  I read one story after the other, finally remembering them halfway through, and then figuring I should just power on and finish them, but all along feeling disappointed they were not brand new.
At least it was Lorrie Moore.  I love her.  I still laughed out loud a couple of times.  I still questioned the moments I could relate to her sad, reserved characters but was also bemused by the humanity of it all.  This book was a gift I got for Christmas this year.  I did not think I was ready to give it up, but after reading it again, I feel like I am ready to share it with someone else.  But what really happens to a book left on a plane?  Do they throw it out before the next flight?  Does a stranger find it?  I hope someone is able to enjoy it—an employee or a passenger.

 I know I should not buy any more books.  That’s the deal, right?   But I am going to have to since this is a rare opportunity to go to one of the best bookstores in the nation.  Prarie Lights in Iowa City.  I have been waiting for this moment for awhile now.

On an unrelated note, hello and glad to see you.  I am taking a little break from life and excited to be able to blog with you again.  I hope you are doing well and your health is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment