Sunday, September 4, 2011

The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street  by Sandra Cisneros
1991
Weight: 5.6 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating or giving away



I finally read The House on Mango Street.  I could tell within the first few pages that Cisneros was a skilled author.  I fell into it right away, but as I continued through it I lost some of that initial magic.  It almost felt half-realized.  I enjoyed it, but I kept wanting more.  I think that beautiful sentences or paragraphs were surrounded by lackluster ones, and I was never quite sure when the beauty would come back.  All of the sudden, it would appear and I would be impressed again.  

It was short and easy to read, as it was broken up into numerous small vignettes.  I, of course, appreciated her willingness to tackle difficult situations in a way that was not overly graphic, but also does not assume that children are not exposed to horrible things early, like sexual violence.   Her use of imagery was on point most of the time.   She fits so much into one tiny book.  I do think it is one of the better books written for a younger audience.  It is a book that older adults also enjoy.

Her is a sample of Cisneros’ writing, “In English my name means hope.  In Spanish it means too many letters.  It means sadness, it means waiting.  It is like the number nine.  A muddy color.  It is the records my father plays on Sunday mornings when he is shaving, songs like sobbing (10).”

Same deal as usual, if you want it let me know.  It is yours for the taking.

2 comments:

  1. I want to read it but don't need to keep it... #

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can read it and then one of us can drop it in a box nearby to donate it! I will set it aside for you.

    ReplyDelete