Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Mistress's Daughter

2 X The Mistress’s Daughter  by A.M. Homes
2007
Weight: 11 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating or giving to you if you ask



I have two copies of this book that are in brand new condition.  One was given to me by my dear friend Sarah and the other I kind of inherited.  I can’t let someone just trash an A.M. Homes book so I took it!  As some of you are aware, A.M. Homes is one of my favorite fiction authors.  This book is her memoir.  You can imagine how excited I was when I first saw that it was available.

While I do much prefer her fiction, I was invested in this book.  I came in with bias, but I do not really care.  It is about Homes wrestling with being adopted, trying to find her biological parents, and connecting with her genealogy.  I agree with other reviewers that the book’s strength is in the beginning and the weakness seems to be at the end.  I cannot comment on how accurate of a portrayal this is of what it feels like to be adopted.  I have no idea.  But, I do not know why it has to be that.  It is a portrayal of how it was for A.M. Homes and that is enough.  

She is an excellent author, and I liked this book.  I think I would give it a 3 star rating on a 5 star scale.  If you would like your very own copy or know someone who would, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment