Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The School Story


The School Story  by Andrew Clements
2002
Weight: 4.8 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating or giving away



I might be a little conceited.  I bought this book while working at Barnes and Nobel, way back in the day, because the girl on the cover looked just like me.  It is seriously eerie though.  I am not even kidding.  I need to post a picture of me in high school with the plastic hair clips and everything.

I finally read the book yesterday, and it was okay.  I liked that it was about writing and that the kids were strong-willed and intelligent.  I could not get over my adult anxiety that the mom would lose her job when the child’s deception was up.  I was disappointed in the teacher for lacking so much confidence right off the bat and only gaining any when she felt like the kids looked at her like she was cool.  It did not escape me that she based her value on another teacher, whom she had a crush on, and then at the end of the book finds her value (?) and gets the guy to boot.  That was ridiculous and unnecessary.  

I thought the book was kind of average.  Not even memorable, but it looks like kids seem to enjoy it and that is what matters. 

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but wonder if I somehow knew Andrew Clements. Is that a pseudonym?!

    ReplyDelete