Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth
2011
Weight: 7.2 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating


I went to see the second Hunger Games movie, and there was a trailer for Divergent.  I have not worked in a bookstore in so long, and I have been avoiding going into any while I try to read and get rid of all the ones I have.  I am, officially, out of the loop.  In the first few seconds I actually got excited because I thought it was The Giver--not that I am sure a movie made in 2014 could give that book justice.  This excitement was quickly followed by agitation that there was another book like it out there.

Days later I realized how silly that emotional roller coaster was.  It did not seem all that similar.  It was dystopian, and there are a lot of similarities in all dystopian books because they mirror us.  Our hopes and our fears.  We are drawn to them.  I picked it up in a grocery store.  I felt compelled and could not stop myself, despite this project.  I never have time for anything but work anymore and the idea of a fast-paced young adult read was irresistible.

I am so glad I did.  It did, indeed, read fast, and I really enjoyed it.  I am very excited to see the second one and, yeah, I am sure I will eventually see the movie.  Sometimes you need to just let yourself go...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment