Friday, September 8, 2017

Fighting the Cold War

Fighting the Cold War: A Soldier's Memoir
By General John R. Galvin, USA (RET.)
2015
Weight: 2 lbs
Method of Disposal: Sending to my brother


This book was released by the publisher not too long before General Galvin passed away.  I heard about the book because one of my fairly new but dear (and now very dear) friends is his daughter.  I pre-ordered it thinking that he was probably one of those guys that self-publishes his story when he is older so that a handful of people will know who he is.  I ordered the book to be kind more than I did to read it, though I was interested.

Any of you who know anything about General John Galvin should be rolling your eyes and snorting by now.  He, of course, did not need little old me to read his book.  He had led an impressive life and had achieved more than most people.  I sat in front of Colin Powell at his funeral and listened to him share stories of the General as a young man.  General Patraeus spoke powerfully about him that same day.  He served as NATO's Supreme Allied  Commander during the Cold War.  He fought in Vietnam and was awarded the Silver Star.  His legacy stands by itself and needs no support from some thirty year old woman who struggles to lead a shelter to greatness.  

This book taught me a lot about General Galvin's career and a little about his life, but I learned the most from having the honor of knowing his family.  His wife is an incredibly kind and fun woman and together they raised the most wonderful, passionate, intelligent, and quirky daughters.  I never was able to meet him, but I carry so many stories of him thanks to one of his daughters in particular.  She is an amazing and generous person who would do anything to help someone (or some critter) in need, and I assume that has at least a little to do with who he was as a father and as a man.

I think about being at Arlington and noting that his head stone was so much smaller than the other man who had served as SACEUR before him.  It was small and modest.  We were told a little bit later that he had chosen to have one that was like the other soldiers who served alongside him and under him.  He did not need all the fancy bells and whistles.  He would be buried as a soldier and among the men he respected and fought with.  If you are looking to read a book about an American Hero then you have picked up the right one if this is the one you grabbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment