Monday, October 30, 2017

Afterglow

Afterglow ( a dog memoir) by Eileen Myles
2017
Weight: 1 lb
Method of Disposal: Giving Away


This was a gift from a dear friend, and it should have been right on point.  The author is a poet who uses pronouns them/they, and she loved a pit bull named Rosie who she gave a long life and, presumably, a good one. 

I just could not submerge myself in it.  It was written in an experimental, rambling fashion, and I got lost it in.  I tried to just ride out the waves and enjoy where I landed, but I couldn't.  My favorite parts were when the writing became more direct for very brief periods of time.  I felt like I got to know Eileen more than Rosie, and I would not say I know Eileen much more now than I did before I started. I know even less about Rosie.  I know Rosie was the pit bull my brain kept wanting to make a poodle despite pit bulls being my favorite and that she had a long, drawn out death.  That she became incontinent at the end.  I know the author loved her and tried to mate her at some point, and that it was horrible.

I wish I had enjoyed this more.  I really wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment