Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The Fire This Time

The Fire This Time: A New Generation Speaks about Race by Jesmyn Ward
2017
Weight: 7.2 oz
Method of Disposal: Giving to Tracy


This collection was recommended to me by my friend Liz, and I am glad she encouraged me to buy it.  It is a collection of essays and poetry about the Black American experience.  Some of the writing is much better than others, but I imagine each piece speaks to different people.  I found this to be a great step up in finding other interesting authors and books.  I went on a book buying spree looking for Wendy S. Walters, Jesmyn Ward, and Garnette Cadogan.  Thinking about Garnette walking the streets of Kingston, New Orleans, and New York was a huge open window for me.  I felt like I was able to peer into the life of a young, black man and truly understand that I cannot truly understand what it feels like for all eyes to be on me, wondering what I am up to, where I am going, whether I am guilty of something.  And not just eyes, often hands, feet, fists.  How awful to live with that weight and constant looking over your shoulder. 

The same happened with Wendy's loneliness.  I felt it deep within me even though I recognized that I have never felt it and will never be able to without living every. single. day. with it.  I suggest you take the time to read this book or, if you are short on time, at least  check out some of the writing inside.  I would start with those 4 authors if you aren't going to read it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment