Wednesday, October 4, 2017

How Can I Help?

How Can I Help? How to Support Someone Who Is Grieving
1999
Weight: 8 oz
Method of Disposal: Taking to Lending Library


I originally purchased this book when I was working at Barnes and Noble and one of my coworkers lost a parent and, seemingly, her mind.  I wanted to help even though we were not friends.  My heart broke for her.  Then, my best friend lost her fiance.  Unfortunately, since then, I have needed to pick it up many many more times.  You can tell by how well read (read worn) it is. 

It is a basic but worthwhile book that gives some really good, easy-to-follow, and solid advice.  It has some great reminders on what NOT to do, which I sometimes find even more helpful than what to do.  It encourages you to speak from your heart but to be sure you keep your focus on the grieving person and that, in their most painful moments, you do not bring too much attention to yourself or demean/belittle the feelings of the person grieving.  I recommend this book if you are looking for a way to be helpful after loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment