Monday, October 23, 2017

The Education of Will: : A Mutual Memoir of a Woman and Her Dog

The Education of Will: : A Mutual Memoir of a Woman and Her Dog by Patricia B. McConnell
2017
Weight: 15.5 oz
Method of Disposal: Give Back to Charlotte


One of the volunteers at the shelter gave me this book awhile back, and I read it but I have not returned it yet.  Mostly because I did not think she wanted it back, but I started to second guess that for some reason today.  This is a book about a border collie named Will that is purchased by her as a puppy and has both serious mental and physical challenges that push her to her wit's end.  Luckily, she is a world-renowned animal behaviorist but, even with background and many years of experience, she often finds herself frustrated and second-guessing herself.  She makes mistakes like anyone else would and is open and honest about them. 

This book is also about her own life and experiences.  The reader grows closer to her through stories of her past that are intertwined with stories from her clients and her life with Will.  The book was well done, and I enjoyed it.

As I type this, Whiskey comes flying through the room and through the air, slamming into the side table and breaking a lamp, knocking a mug of coffee onto the carpet, sending my expensive camera flying, and causing an overall ruckus with quite a bit of noise.  Whiskey is my Will.  After 10 years in animal rescue, she challenges me every day.  Or, rather, our foster, Wisconsin, who is always on the verge of mental collapse and who has stumped one vet after another.  The dog who was chasing behind Whiskey when they ran into the room.  The dog that is a "foster" only because there is truly nowhere else for him to go...

Dogs are wonderful, but they can be exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment