Saturday, January 16, 2021

Growing Up Gay/Growing Up Lesbian: A Literary Anthology

 Growing Up Gay/Growing Up Lesbian: A Literary Anthology Edited Bennett L. Singer
1994
Weight: 15 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating



This was one of very few lgbt books I was able to find when I was growing up, and I cherished it.  I remember trying to get my father to read it and offering to make a book cover for it so that he could read it on the plane when he was flying for business trips.  No one would have to know.

I did not realize that I was being introduced to some amazing writers I would later study in college, like Gloria E. Anzaldua, Audre Lord, Jeanette Winterson, and Dorothy Allison.  I would end up reading all of Annie on My Mind, The Well of Loneliness, Zami, Oranges are Not the Only Fruit, and Rubyfruit Jungle.  Dad should have taken me up on my offer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment