Monday, January 4, 2021

The Secret History of Food

 The Secret History of Food (The Tribute Series) by Susan Tomnay and Nadine Wickenden
1998
Weight: 14 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating


This was a small, quick and fun read about food.  It has an English focus, but it covers food all over the world.  There are interesting tidbits all throughout, such as the first English Wedding Cake.  It was broken over the bride's head to represent the ending of her maidenhood.  An unmarried woman might sleep with a slice of the wedding cake underneath her pillow in hopes it would help her get married.  For awhile in history, the French thought you could get leprosy from potatoes and would not grow them.  All sorts.

Today, I ate an egg and cheese croissant, blueberry beignets, grits, and later chili.  Surely, trying to eat away my sorrows and worries, much to my later dismay.  I would like to do the usual resolution and make a vow of good health, but 2021 is already off to such an odd start that I have not even considered making or disavowing any resolutions.

With the exception of making sure that Harriet knows how much I love her on a daily basis.  While this is something I have always strived to do, I feel it even more important now after someone intentionally and directly threatened her life with a gun on the first of January.  I was at once so grateful to still have the love of my life in my life, not injured, and safe, while also despairing the fact I knew she would suffer trauma and cringing at the fear she must have experienced.  She was flitting about, trying to do nice things for everyone that morning and, yet, just like that, she was forced into a situation where she had to make fast decisions and hope for the best.  Thank God, she found her way back to me.  I force myself to stop thinking of what could have happened the second I start thinking it, but I start thinking about it all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment