Thursday, January 14, 2021

Secrets of Tallulah

 Secrets of Tallulah: Histories, Mysteries, and Colorful Tales from Georgia's Nineteenth Century Mountain Resort by Brian A. Boyd
2003
Weight: 7.2 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating

I have been to Tallulah Gorge several times now but, after reading this book, I would like to go back with new eyes.  It is hard to imagine photographers in the 1800's dragging all that equipment with them to take photos of people hanging out in the treacherous landscape.  I am glad they did though.  It is fun to see the old photos of when Tallulah Gorge was a big vacation destination.  

I have always loved exploring Georgia.  Day trips are easy to pack into the weekends and the dogs can go.  During the pandemic, it has been a particular blessing to be surrounded by so many trails, waterfalls, mountains, and outdoor activities.

Tallulah is brutal with all if its steps, but it is a great place to take someone from out of town, even though just looking at the suspension bridge gives me the shakes.  I am proud to say that, despite my fear of heights, I have crossed it several times.  I also feel that I should never have to do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment