Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Fall

The Fall  by Albert Camus
1991
Weight: 1991
Method of Disposal: Donating

 
There are mixed reviews about this book, though overwhelmingly in favor of Camus being a genius.  Some say it is too philosophical, too intellectual, and tedious to read.  Others claim that Camus' other books are brilliant and well worthy of praise, but this one is his worst.  Of course, there is the other side of that being that this is his best.  The love letters written for this book are the best reviews.  They hail it as a masterpiece and show a disturbed enthusiasm about being able to relate to the detestable main character that exists to bring out the worst in all of us.  The truth is that all of these reviews are accurate.  I enjoyed the purpose of the book, but I did start to find it dull to get through.  Sometimes, I would drift off for just a moment while reading it and then would feel lost, just to come to the realization that I was right where I left off, just further into the chatter of a laywer who was "selfless" for the most selfish of reasons.  Had I skipped pages I feel I would have gleaned the meaning and received the message of the book, but I powered through.
 
I am glad I read it, but I would now like to read something that is pleasurable without trying so damn hard.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment