Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Durable Goods

Durable Goods by Elizabeth Berg
1994
Weight: 8.8 oz
Method of Disposal: Giving to Tracy


I was smitten with the first half of this book.  I loved the 12 year old girl and, though we were very different at that age and living in entirely different circumstances, I felt I could relate or remember so much through Berg's descriptions.  Katie is an inquisitive little girl with a slightly older best friend who believes herself to be the walking source guide on womanhood and femininity.  Her dad is an abusive military man that keeps her and her older sister moving about the country.  Their mother is dead after having suffered illness.  Berg really captures the agony of pre-teen-dom.  I am so impressed.

The last half is heartbreaking.  It is still good, but it did not have the same magic the first part had.  I do believe I have found a book I recommend.  It is a quick read, and you will care about the main characters.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment