Saturday, August 3, 2013

Dick: A User's Guide

Dick: A User's Guide  by Dr. Michele Moore and Dr. Caroline de Costa
2003
Weight: 9.6 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating?


Just got done with my Dick book.  I was hoping to learn a lot but, for better or worse, I, apparently (somehow) knew a decent amount already.  One thing that threw me for a loop was the idea that, on average, healthy adult men have 2-5 erections in a night.  They last about 30 minutes and take up about 40% of sleep time.  Young boys of course have this happen more and are far more likely to have theirs end in ejaculation.  As men get older they decrease (pg.22).I knew that men got erect at night, and I had heard about the morning erection many times, despite the fact that I somehow missed noticing it in that year plus I use to fall asleep and wake up next to a teenage boy (for real).  I immediately called my girlfriend.  "5 times?!"  She tried not to act disturbed, "uhh, yeah, maybe.  Not Five times probably..."  I talked to friends, lesbian and heterosexual, "5 times?!"  I considered the possibilities of this.  I maybe got too enthusiastic because my girlfriend actually asked me if I needed to go experiment with a man.  Uhhh, no.  I just get excited about sex, sexuality, and, apparently, hard-ons. 

In other news, I enjoyed the discussion about water tests on condoms in the U.S. and the U.K.  The authors write, "In the United States this means that the condom must withstand one and a quarter cups of water and not leak (the amount in Britain is twelve and a half cups--we're not sure what this implies about English men)(pg70)."  Kinda hilarious.

Overall, it was a decent book, but it felt rushed and often the authors jokes fell flat with me.  Things would be tacked on at the end of certain chapters that did not seem to fit at all.  The authors were aware and noted that the book was geared to heterosexual men and women more than anything, though they mentioned that they hoped gay men would also find it beneficial.  It was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment