Monday, August 31, 2015

The Story of English

The Story of English : Third Revised Edition by William Cran, Robert MacNeil and Robert McCrum 2002

Weight: 14.4 oz
Method of Disposal: Sold on www.half.com





Selling this book brings back memories of college and Guthrie classes in particular.  I always respected him even though I did not do all that well in his classes.  I am confident that the one I did the worst in was History of the English Language, which is the class I bought this book for.  I really enjoyed the lectures, and my dear friend Liz helped me out when I was drowning.  She also passed me notes to cheer me up if I was feeling a little inadequate and moody.

It was a strange feeling to enjoy something so much but still struggle so hard to do well.  You might be able to tell that I am not a master of grammar.  Not like my friend Liz.  She was always playing with the language, making jokes, writing masterpieces.  I admired her for it, and I was jealous all at the same time.  Actually, I still do, and I still am.  Mostly, though, I just feel lucky to know her and to have been able to attend Guthrie's class and learn as much as I could.

I am sad to let this book go.  For as long as I have kept it I have always imagined I would be able to dive back into it one day and learn some of the things I might have missed while in college.  Unfortunately, my job keeps me incredibly busy and at some point I have to recognize how unrealistic it is to believe I will be reading this book again anytime soon.

I do wonder who purchased it.  A student?  Someone with a general curiosity?

No comments:

Post a Comment