Thursday, December 21, 2017

Are You Out There, God?

Are You Out There, God? by Sister Mary Rose McGeady
1996
Weight: 1 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating


My grandmother will periodically pass on a box of books to me.  They are mostly ones I am not interested in--including this one--but I try to read at least a handful of each.  I felt like I could read this one quickly in between other books and did.  I like to think about her reading the books as I am reading them, and I like to try to imagine what she was thinking when she was reading them.

I know she is a very christian woman and so it does not surprise me that she would have a book by a nun who helps homeless children, but as I was reading this book I did have trouble imagining her reading about sex trafficked children, domestic violence, and street violence.  She is human.  I am sure she does read about terrible things, and this is probably one of those times, but I cannot help but wonder if someone at her church just passed it on to her and her to me without her ever having read it.  This happens too.  It was a very sensational 80's/90's type book.  It was a little pat despite its subject matter and a little over the top in delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment