Monday, December 18, 2017

Old Mother Hubbard

Old Mother Hubbard illustrated by Anne Sellers Leaf
MCMLVIII (1958)
Weight: 6 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating


This time of the year often makes me think of a day I spent with my Great Grandmother, Juanita. We made her famous Santa Claus sugar cookies.  We used shredded coconut and home-made icing to make his beard.  We made black, white, and red icing.  The cookies themselves were crispy and delicious.  I am surprised that no one seems to make them now that she has passed away.  They were so popular when she was alive.

I remember her reading this book to me.  I loved it, and I guess there is no surprise there--a woman serving a dog.  It ultimately would become my life.  I remember my mom picking me up and being excited to show off our cookies to her.  It is a vague and faint memory all this years later--around 26-28 years ago--but it is a good one.  This book will always make me think of her, but I will not forget her even if I pass it on, of course.  She was a fiery and opinionated lady who seemed to love me and my brother very much.  We loved her too.

I would really like to make those cookies again some day...

No comments:

Post a Comment